Schools are back in session and adults are returning to the office and getting back to their regular routines after a year spent at home. As people get back to their routines, it also means that more people are getting back on the road to get to where they need to be. The increase in traffic poses an increased risk to many, but especially to children. To ensure that we are looking out for each other, it is essential that as parents and drivers we practice road safety to help keep kids, and each other, as safe as possible around the roads.
Tips for Parents
As parents, protecting and taking care of our kids is a top priority. Most of us were probably taught to look both ways before crossing the street at some point and this has established a foundation for road safety. Whether your family lives in a big city or a small town, streets can be a dangerous place and there are certain things that as parents we should teach kids to help keep them safe.
- Always look both ways before crossing the street.
- Teach them to safely use crosswalks.
- Teach about traffic signals and what they mean.
- Teach them to always use the sidewalk when walking.
- Let them know not to play around or on the roads.
By helping our kids learn basic road safety, and why it is important, we can help keep them safe. We can also take extra measures as parents to protect our children. While always supervising kids when they are in and out of the home is the best way to keep them safe, this isn’t always possible because of our busy lives. That’s where technology comes in to lend us a helping hand. By installing home technologies, we gain a better idea of what is always going on in our homes, even when we are busy or away.
- Home Security – A home security system can provide 24/7 monitoring of your home. Between security cameras and door and window sensors, parents will have access to real-time alerts when anything happens around the house.
- Home Automation – Home automation is another way to have more control over the things that happen in your home and the safety of your kids. Through a home automation system, parents will be able to control electronic locks and security systems from anywhere, giving them better ways to ensure children aren’t wandering outside alone.
Tips for Drivers
As drivers, we all have a responsibility to drive responsibly any time that we enter a vehicle. This means following road safety rules so that we can protect ourselves, other drivers, and pedestrians of all ages. Whenever you are the driver or a passenger, ensure that:
- Everyone is buckled up.
- Whoever is driving is in the right state to drive – Never drive when you are tired, in an extreme emotional state, or under the influence.
- The driver isn’t distracted – Phones should be put away or turned off so they won’t be a distraction.
- The rules of the road are being followed and traffic laws are being observed.
Kids can be anywhere and are sometimes hard to see which is why it is crucial for drivers to always pay attention when they are behind the wheel and observe traffic laws. When in school zones, neighborhoods, or around parks, take extra caution and be extra aware of your surroundings and the kids in the area.
Technology That Makes a Road Safety Difference
Whether in the home or on the road, technology has played a major role in upgrading road safety for everyone. Cameras and video analytics have helped make identifying vehicles easier along with monitoring the behavior of drivers who are operating these cars. With properly installed technology, whether you’re a parent, driver, or both, we can all take steps towards better road safety and keeping our kids and each other safe.
At HS Tech Group, safety is our top priority. That’s why with every project our team comes together to understand the needs of our clients and design a system that is optimized for those needs and the location. Whether you are a business owner or a homeowner looking to take steps towards more effective road safety measures for the kids at your location, we have the right solution for you. Contact us today and discover what we can do for you!